Sound and Wave Motion
DVW03.1 - Longitudinal Waves (Vertical Rods)
- To show the propagation of longitudinal waves.
- Longitudinal wave demonstrator (Pasco)
- Clamp, right angled (custom)
Displacement of the rods may be done manually, with either the clamp
in place (terminated) or without the clamp ("open-circuited").
- This demonstration is the analogue of standing waves in air columns
and musical instruments.
- The restoring force for the wave motion comes from the springs between rods.
- The rod masses and spring constants chosen result in slow speed oscillations for improved observation.